Klein Tools has a 160-year history of serving the hand tool needs of professional tradesmen with products that represent a standard of excellence, innovation, technology and quality in our industry. We are looking for candidates who want a career working with The Premier Brand of Hand Tools.
We are currently looking for a Staff Engineer - Metallurgist to be located in our Mansfield, TX Facility.
The Staff Engineer - Metallurgist is a non‐supervisory single‐contributor role where the individual is considered a subject matter expert. The Staff Engineer in the Materials Lab will provide failure analysis of product, process/equipment and field returns in support of ongoing quality. This position will also help with material selection and process development for new products and cost reductions.
Specific Responsibilities will include:
1. Material testing, characterization, failure analysis and material and heat treatment recommendation, in support of field returns and new product development. Including, but not limited to: hardness, micro‐structure, chemical analysis.
2. Provide technical support and guidance in conjunction with development of new products, including, but not limited to material selection, outsourced material analysis, competitor product and material analysis and heat treat processing.
3. Prepare oral and written reports that document observations, analysis, and conclusions.
4. Conduct investigations to document heat treat processing parameters and conditions.
5. Oversee laboratory testing by third parties.
6. Responsible for keeping all Heat Treat Specifications up to date and accurate.
7. Perform root cause analysis in support of Corrective Action resolution, in conjunction with Product Engineers.
8. Conduct research into the properties and processing of materials, such as metals, alloys and polymers in order to obtain information that could be used to develop new products or improve existing ones.
9. Provide formal and informal training and consulting to Klein product engineers, on the basics of materials and heat treating.
10. Maintain all MET lab equipment and materials, including purchasing required consumables and tools.
11. Disposition of Non‐Conforming material as a participating member of the Heat Treat MRB ﴾Material Review Board﴿
12. Provide failure and other analysis to help resolve component and vendor issues.
13. Perform all other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelors of Science Degree in Metallurgical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or Material Science from an ABET accredited institution or program with a minimum of nine ﴾9﴿ years of experience of relevant work experience in a materials laboratory or similar environment or Master of Science Degree in Metallurgy and seven ﴾7﴿ years of work experience or Doctorate Degree in Materials Science and Metallurgy and five ﴾5﴿ years of work experience.
Successful candidate will be a subject matter expert in Metallurgy, especially steel and alloys. Experience in plastics desirable. Must have 5 years proven experience in failure analysis of forged, machined and stamped products and familiarity with a variety of material removal processes and extensive knowledge of heat treating steel, with cryo‐treatment experience desirable.
Must have independent judgment, excellent technical, analytical, planning and organizational skills.
Must have demonstrated experience facilitating complex projects and solutions with multiple interactions.
Must have conflict resolution skills and demonstrated team leadership experience.
Must have strong oral and written skills with the ability to present both technical analysis and financial based justifications allowing further decision making within all levels of the organization.
Works well in both individual and in a team environment.
Klein Tools provides a competitive compensation and benefits package, including:
If you have the commitment to succeed and the desire to join an organization recognized as the industry leader, please submit your cover letter and resume.
No phone calls please.