The Production Planning Manager is responsible for ensuring that material, manpower, and equipment are available to fulfill orders based on customer's requirements and that planned inventory levels based on predetermined min/max levels are maintained. In addition, this position will work with various internal teams to identify and implement process improvements.
1. Replenish raw materials, work in progress (WIP), and finished goods to satisfy demand based on reorder points and customer orders using the enterprise resource planning/materials resource planning (ERP/MRP).
2. Create and schedule the required manufacturing shop orders for items made in house considering work center capacity, manpower availability, raw material availability, and product category priorities.
3. Create purchase requisitions for raw materials and items made by outside suppliers to ensure optimal production levels. Ensure raw materials are scheduled to be available as required for in house production requirements.
4. Monitor the shop orders and purchase requisitions for any required changes to the quantities and/or delivery dates, update the manufacturing schedule accordingly.
5. Revise the manufacturing schedules based on changing conditions – quality issues, material shortages, lost business, etc.
6. Maintain communication with all departments regarding scheduling changes, discrepancies, shortages, and information requests.
7. Work with the manufacturing leaders and utilize lean manufacturing principles to continuously improve the execution of schedules on the manufacturing floor, identify bottlenecks, correct problems, and suggest improvements.
8. Ensure bill of material (BOM) and routings are up to date. Work with the Engineering team to implement any required changes.
9. Work with the Customer Service team to ensure the scheduled deliveries will meet customer requirements. Review all orders to coordinate available inventory to ensure maximum line fill.
10. Evaluate the need for changes to inventory levels based on changing conditions, seasonality, new products, etc.
11. Investigate and resolve inventory discrepancies.
12. Allocate raw materials to the appropriate shop orders.
13. Perform internal stock transfers to ensure the various warehouses have the correct inventory levels.
14. Perform other duties as required within the nature and level of work.
Bachelors degree and five (5) years of relevant experience are required. Experience with computerized MRP systems, planning, logistics and supply chain is required. Strong working knowledge of manufacturing processes and capacity planning is required. Certification in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) and knowledge of lean manufacturing principles are preferred. Experience with Manufacturing Accounting and Production Information Control System (MAPICS) is a plus.
Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint). Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to read and understand manufacturing drawings. Must have strong attention to detail and the ability to multi‐task in a fast‐paced environment. Must have strong communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and written with employees across all levels within the company.
Occasionally required to stand, walk or sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.